Mercury facts – Interesting facts about Mercury

Mercury planet facts

Mercury is the smallest planet in the solar system.

For every two orbits around the sun, Mercury completes three rotations of its axis.

Mercury has been visited by two spacecrafts. Mariner 10 and Messenger are the spacecrafts that have visited Mercury.

Mercury is named after the Roman god Mercury, the messenger to the gods.

The Caloris Basin is the largest impact crater on Mercury. It is nearly 1,550 km in diameter and was discovered in 1974.

You would be 38% of your weight on Mercury.

It is not known who discovered Mercury.

Mercury has wrinkles called Lobate Scarps. These are formed by the iron ore of the planet which cooled and contracted making it look like wrinkles.

Mercury is one of the five terrestrial planets in the solar system.

Mercury consists of 70% metallic and remaining 30% silicate material.